[lit-ideas] Re: (K)ant Kills Creativity

  • From: "veronica caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 15:10:29 -0400

<it's absolutely clear that she was
picked for who she is -- a Latina -- as much as for being qualified>

I totally agree with this. And you might agree that Clarence Thomas was picked for the same reason, to the deep regret of most African Americans. Sotomayor is a lot more qualified that Thomas was. This whole thing is about politics, much more than it used to be.

There is still the issue of fairness. Women, of any ethnic variety, make up 51% of the population. They are a small fraction of the legislative bodies in the US. That there ought to be a relative balance on the court of all major numbers of people on all federal courts is my position. This, providing that they are all qualified.

I think there is merit to some people's suggestions that there ought to be people on the Supreme Court who are more in touch with ordinarily people. Governors, former governors, etc. Jennifer Granholm, governor of Michigan was supposedly one of the six actually considered. I don't believe it for a minute. She supported Sen. Clinton.
By the way, she too is Catholic, but out of favor with the Vatican.

<On a related note, I'm blown away that in a country where the general
voting populace has only ever ONCE elected a Catholic President, that
practically the whole SCOTUS is RC. What happened to this supposed
WASP conspiracy? There ain't none left in that there department.>

To my knowledge, there has not been discrimination against Catholics for a very long time. They are very prominent in all parts of government, elected and otherwise. Partly because of the increase in Catholic population due to immigration and partly since Kennedy everyone votes for them if they like their positions on issues or whatever.

President Bush demanded their support for his birth control and aids positions (prohibiting condoms, abortion, etc. in Africa despite the role of condoms in limiting aids transmission, and the people he appointed to public office, giving tax money to religious groups, etc.

Obama has continued the tax money distribution because he really liked the help the Catholic Church gave him in his community organization work. (This latter was in response to my letter to him, objecting to this practice.)

Veronica Caley

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>