[lit-ideas] Re: (K)ant Kills Creativity

  • From: "veronica caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 23:01:23 -0400

<Sotomayor's vainglorious lecture bromide about herself as "a
wise Latina" trumping white men is a vulgar embarrassment -- a vestige of the bad old days of male-bashing feminism when
even the doughty Ann Richards was saying to the 1988
Democratic National Convention: "After all, Ginger Rogers
did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it
backwards and in high heels." What flatulent canards
mainstream feminism used to traffic in! Astaire, idolized
even by Mikhail Baryshnikov, was one of the most brilliant
and peerless dancers and choreographers of the 20th century.
The agile but limited Ginger Rogers, a spunky, smart-mouthed
comedian, is only a footnote. Get real, girls! This is the
kind of mushy balderdash I doggedly had to plow through for
five years in trying to find a good feminist poem for my
collection, "Break, Blow, Burn."  I never found one. Rule of
art: Cant kills creativity!>

I assume you agree with Ms. Paglia. She is absolutely one of the most hostile, aggressive women I have ever read or listened to in interviews. This woman has some issues besides the one she states, but I don't exactly know what they are, not being a clinician qualified to diagnose that.

I know she is an art expert, but whenever I have read/heard her, she is attacking someone or something. So I quit paying attention to her. I have never met a feminist this angry or hostile.

My take on SotoMayor: what would you expect her to say when she is speaking to a Hispanic audience? What do conservatives or liberals say when they give speeches to their own.?

As another woman, my opinion of the meaning of the comment in question is that women and/or Hispanics have a different perspective on some things because they have had a different life experience than white men.

With her on the court, there will be six Catholics. The five already on there are conservative Catholics. You think that is not reflected in their decisions about most things they rule on? Please.

Veronica Caley

_____

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>

http://www.salon.com/opinion/paglia/2009/06/10/waterloo/index1.html