[lit-ideas] Kamikaze versus 9/11 Terrorists

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 00:59:19 -0500

Omar raised a point of the similarity between 9/11 attacks and kamikazes. I wrote to a Japanese friend, who has finally had time to reply.

________

I can only say my own opinion that Kamikaze pilots and 9/11 terrorists can't be compared.

Since I am a US citizen as well as Japanese, I think this issue is kinda personal to me.
Bushido doesn't specify samurai to be lenient to civilians, women, children or old people. However, samurai is to refuse combat when the opponent/target is not fellow samurai of equal strength. This always happened.

The Bushido of early 20th century was not the way it should be. It was fascist and made any way okay to get the target. The Shanghai Incident for example (see previous post). The Japanese Navy, Army and Air Force attacked the city which was full of unarmed civilians.

Yet, WW II pilots since Pearl Harbor attack specified their targets: military facilities and soldiers. No civilians. That was their order.