[lit-ideas] Re: Kamikaze versus 9/11 Terrorists

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 18:08:25 -0500

Eric Yost wrote:

"I've experienced this in person, working on my father's orchard in PA
Amish country, and being reprimanded by locals for having my shirt off
in summer."

How is this body shame?  Surely the argument for body shame can't be
made by pointing to people who object to men working with their shirts
off.  And how is it relevant to being Amish, as opposed to, for example,
being from Pennsylvania?  I mean, the Amish, and Muslims for that
matter, seem to be a terribly convenient example just because they are
so different.  This difference also seems to me to be a good reason for
why one ought to be skeptical of such examples.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON