[lit-ideas] Re: Kamikaze versus 9/11 Terrorists

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:53:37 -0800

Irene wrote:

Shame is a serious topic of study in the psychological community. It's
known as the "master emotion". It's much more than pop-sociology jargon.

Here are two psychologists' enlightening remarks about shame.

http://www.mundanebehavior.org/issues/v1n3/scheff-retzinger.htm

"This article outlines a social psychology of the basic emotions in social relationships. In our theory, shame and pride are the emotional building blocks of interpersonal relations. But because there is so little empirical evidence about pride, we focus mainly on shame. First we review Mead, Cooley and Goffman’s concepts of the self, showing how they imply the centrality of shame and pride. We define shame as a class name for a large family of emotions which includes not only embarrassment and humiliation, but also "discretionary" shame, such as modesty, shyness, and conscience. The common thread in these variants is seeing self negatively in the eyes of the other(s), and therefore perceiving a threat to the bond. To illustrate this idea, we apply it to a single episode, a phone call between two friends. We present this episode in the form of a dialogue with the reader, to help overcome the counter-intuitive nature of our framework. We ask the reader to employ not only analysis, but also introspection. Finally, we propose that shame is the central affect in social relationships, a way of making them visible."

Note that, as it turns out, shame is said to be 'a class name,' for a number of other emotions, attitudes, and states, which are conceptually different from it. Notice too that the authors give equal place to 'pride' but claim, despite the attention given to pride in Western thought from Aristotle on down, that nobody's studied pride. This, they seem to believe, allows them to say that 'shame' is _the_ 'master emotion.' (Their title is 'Shame is the Master Emotion of Everyday Life.') As shame is a class name, it is no more specific than the term 'animal,' and does about as much work as 'animal' does in 'The earth is inhabited by animals.'

Body shame is more than not liking one's body.  Body shame is taking the
feeling of being fundamentally defective (really the definition of shame)
and applying it to one's body.  Therefore, someone like Marilyn Monroe
could very easily have body shame.  Many beautiful women think themselves
ugly, the way anorexics think they're fat.

This discussion began with a superficial and anecdotal investigation of cultural differences concerning displaying (or decorating, Eric suggested) one's body. It is hard to see what anorexia has to to do with this.

Shame starts very early in life, predating guilt.  Also, shame isn't a
problem.  Small amounts of shame are what conscience is based on.  Healthy
people must have it.  Sociopaths have no shame.  "Toxic shame" is the
problem.  Toxic shame starts with the very young child's (guilt is formed
by the age of 2, so this is earlier than that but I don't remember exactly)
blaming himself for mom not coming to his rescue when he cries, etc.  It's
what children do, it's all they know how to do, blame themselves for
everything bad.

Here you leap on your favorite hobby horse and begin to rock furiously. I've heard your views on the depravity of human life and the origins of that depravity. We've had this discussion before.

Toxic shame sounds like it should be psychobabble but it's a real thing. I
think it was Alice Miller who coined "poisonous pedagogy". That's based in
toxic shame. It's the parenting style credited with creating Nazis. People think money is the root of all evil. Toxic shame is the root of all
evil; pharma's price gouging, war, etc.

'Toxic shame' is psychobabble, as are most of the headings in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, where 'distinctions' between 'disorders' are continually being refined to the point of absurdity. If you suck your thumb, you're suffering from pollexitis. (At least.) When Koch's Postulates are used in psychology, I'll reconsider my views.

You're right, though, shame is very different from modesty. People who
have appropriate levels of shame are relatively modest.

This would seem to be true by definition.

Robert Paul
Professor of Mundane Behaviour
Mutton College