[lit-ideas] Re: It's not the heat, it's the heat

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:03:28 -0700

> It was just mentioned on the evening news. Somewhere in the valley near >
> Fresno, as far as I could tell. Fresno? Carol?

ck: Yo, friends! I'm here, I'm alive. It was a mere 116 degrees here
yesterday. Indoors, though, and without air conditioning, it could easily
reach 120 or so. Perhaps the news fudged a bit, geographically. It's easily
120 in Mojave, commonly, but that's east of here.

About a hundred people in Fresno dropped dead in this heat--not everyone has
working air conditioning. But you've heard. The cops and EMTs are finding
more corpses throughout the city, on the street and in apartments, houses,
fields. A lot of people are stinting on their use of air conditioning,
because of cost. I figure it's use it or die.

The heat has been unrelenting for 3 weeks. Unusual for Fresno, where 110
degrees isn't unusual, for a day or so. It's a relatively cool 104 today.
We're expecting temperatures over 110 again next week.

What to do? Stay indoors, use the air conditioning, and protest PG&E
(electric co.) if they won't give folks here a financial break. Meanwhile,
I'm in the cool, reading about string theory. Theoretical physics--the
ultimate escapism.

Carol,
in Fresno--the city known for the weirdest murders in the world