[lit-ideas] Re: It's not the heat, it's the heat

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:51:50 -0700

>It's not the heat it's the humidity

ck: I beg to differ. Feeling like 116 is different from the actual temperature
being 116, regardless of humidity. But perhaps it's that misapprehension that
makes people in this low-humidity climate believe their bodies are handling the
heat just fine, when in fact they're not. People don't *feel* that much hotter
(perception), but their actual body temperature may go above what their
internal organs can stand.

I felt fine out in the heat, doing errands, for instance. Had my water bottle,
used ac in the car--no sweat. Almost. But when I got home, I was ill for 4
hours. Did this twice until I went to the MD. The high heat had affected my
cardiac rhythm. (I have mild valve problems.) But I felt fine until I didn't.
My guess is, many people push themselves to function in this heat, even if
minimally, without realizing that feeling uncomfortably hot is the least of
their heat-related problems.

Dying from heat is awfully easy, in middle age and later. In the longer term,
illness and early death, as an indirect result of the combination of high heat
and pollution, is the Central Valley's biggest human problem. (I was going to
write "concern," but relatively few people show concern. They just build higher
walls and go elsewhere, as in Louisiana.)

Carol

        Date: 7/29/06 7:03:40 PM Central Daylight Time
        From: carolkir@xxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  > It was just mentioned on the evening news. Somewhere in the valley near >
  > Fresno, as far as I could tell. Fresno? Carol?

  ck: Yo, friends! I'm here, I'm alive. It was a mere 116 degrees here
  yesterday. Indoors, though, and without air conditioning, it could easily
  reach 120 or so. Perhaps the news fudged a bit, geographically. It's easily
  120 in Mojave, commonly, but that's east of here.

  About a hundred people in Fresno dropped dead in this heat--not everyone has
  working air conditioning. But you've heard. The cops and EMTs are finding
  more corpses throughout the city, on the street and in apartments, houses,
  fields. A lot of people are stinting on their use of air conditioning,
  because of cost. I figure it's use it or die.

  The heat has been unrelenting for 3 weeks. Unusual for Fresno, where 110
  degrees isn't unusual, for a day or so. It's a relatively cool 104 today.
  We're expecting temperatures over 110 again next week.

  What to do? Stay indoors, use the air conditioning, and protest PG&E
  (electric co.) if they won't give folks here a financial break. Meanwhile,
  I'm in the cool, reading about string theory. Theoretical physics--the
  ultimate escapism.

  Carol,
  in Fresno--the city known for the weirdest murders in the world