[lit-ideas] Re: It's not the heat, it's the heat

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:08:36 EDT

My A/C guy has failed to show up twice now.   I like him a lot --  he's kind,
courteous, reasonable and thorough

I'll probably be calling him again first thing Mon. morning.

Re persperation -- my Mother is an odd case.  She simply does not  sweat.
She has never needed anti-persperint or deoderant.  It's  simply that nothing
comes out of her pours in liquid form. She is particularly  prone to heat
exhastion.

Wanna 'slplain that one?

Julie Krueger
living on popsicles

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: It's not the
heat, it's the heat  Date: 7/30/06 4:15:47 AM Central Daylight Time  From:
_carolkir@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:carolkir@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Robert Paul, the estimable exercise physiologist  and gerontologist, reveals:

>older people, because of skin changes,  have fewer sweat glands and
>therefore sweat less,

ck: AHA! That's  it! I haven't been sweating the way I used to, as of this
year. My head  sweats (face and scalp), but that's about it. Tonight it's
cooler and more  humid, though, and I'm sweating a bit more. Not much, but a
bit. I've  noticed this before--more humidity, more sweating. (The humidity
here in  Fresno is only about ten percent when the temperature is 110.)

Could it  be that my head sweat cools off before I have a chance to perceive
its  presence?

At any rate, I guess I'm older than I thought, and more at  risk. Wonder if
taking prednisone increases my susceptibility to heat  stroke--and reduces
the sweat.

Warning to J. Kreuger:
The heat  spell that just left Fresno is traveling towards your part of the
country.  Ice it  up!

Carol