[lit-ideas] Re: Iran (2), First Front

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 23:19:33 -0500

The way you say it, or the way I'm hearing it, makes Liberal Democracy,
especially coupled with Marxist Liberal Democracy, sound pejorative.  I am NOT
a Marxist, but I think it's safe to say that Marxism, like Christianity, has
never been tried.  The Soviet Union had this weird Stalinist horror thing
whatever it was.   Judy can correct me, but I think England today has a form of
"Marxism" (even possibly including ownership of the means of production in the
form of nationalized industries).  Unbridled capitalism is what England and the
U.S. had in the 19th century.  It was pretty ugly.  Why anyone would want that
back is beyond me.  Leave it to the Chinese to take capitalism and harness it
to serve totalitarianism, fascism by another name.  Fascism, communism, I never
really saw the difference.  Ironically, pharma writing their own legislation
smacks of fascism.