[lit-ideas] Re: Iran (2), First Front

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 00:11:52 +0000 (GMT)

--- Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The way you say it, or the way I'm hearing it, makes
> Liberal Democracy, especially coupled with Marxist
> Liberal Democracy, sound pejorative.  I am NOT a
> Marxist, but I think it's safe to say that Marxism,
> like Christianity, has never been tried.

I'd go along with that

   Judy can correct me, but I think England
> today has a form of "Marxism" (even possibly
> including ownership of the means of production in
> the form of nationalized industries).

Not Marxism but some of it rested on the Labour
Party's Clause 4 (now abolished by Blair?, renounced
anyway some years before that):

'To secure for the producers by hand or by brain the
full fruits of their industry, and the most equitable
distribution thereof that may be possible, upon the
basis of the common ownership of the means of
production and the best obtainable system of popular
administration and control of each industry and
service.'

Thatcher, Major, and Blair have done away with most of
that, simply for ideological reasons and at a cost to
consumers (prices, bureaucracy, safety) and so to the
nation.  But we don't have unbridled capitalism, thank
goodness.

Judy Evans, Cardiff