[lit-ideas] Re: Helm's World

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 14:26:01 -0700

  _____

From: lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Simon Ward
Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 1:04 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Helm's World

Andy: 'Just think, you guys gave us America.'

Don't let Lawrence hear you say that, he's busy re-writing history. We also
begat Australia. Enough said.

'We're wondering what a non-military war looks like?  A war of words?  A
Matrix-style war, where one side thinks it's winning and the other side is
losing?'

I was attempting to differentiate between the two world wars and 'modern'
ones. Where WW1 was essentially a war about market supremacy and empires,
and WW2 was about defeating fascism, modern wars are about regional
domination. During the cold war they were fought between client states. Post
cold war they are about racial disharmony, arms markets and, under the Bush
doctrine, capital markets. But not freedom, democracy or the end of terror.
Note that without terror, the US Empire cannot expand.

'I would imagine that not having a war in Europe in the 60 years following
WWI and WWII would not be too surprising.  It was a pretty traumatizing
experience.  It has to be for that reason that our administration is so gung
ho on war, because they never experienced it first hand.'

This is something that Lawrence seems to forget with his sniping at Europe
and France in particular. Millions of lives were lost in both world wars and
he has to ask why France (and Germany though they never seem to get a
mention) are somewhat down on going to war. Of course, the response is that
the US was responsible for maintaining the peace during the cold war, but
does that automatically mean that Europe is obliged to follow when they
embark on Empire building. You're right, I think, that the Bush
Administration discounts the experience of war on the ground. Yes, the body
bags come back - though that isn't shown on TV - but to have homes and
infrastructure destroyed, to become refugees, to die of starvation, in short
to suffer the experience of war is absolutely alien.

'...there's no way Lawrence is going to see that only peace begets peace,
that democracy can't be forced at gunpoint.  I think it's time to pack it in
on that quarter and watch Lawrence save the world by destroying it while
feeling superior to everyone else for not joining him.'

Ah but I enjoy the challenge. And Lawrence enjoys it too I'm sure. I can
sense him thrashing away at his keyboard even now, his fingers dropping
bombs onto the list, each stroke a small explosion until that final full
stop leads to the truimphant click of his index finger that sends the next
war-winning note into the ether. (Just don't tell him that an Englishman
invented html).

Regards

Simon

PS. From the font changes and the remote references to Irene, I'm guessing
that this is the husband I'm speaking to. Welcome to Helm's World.