[lit-ideas] Re: Helm's World

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 16:26:54 -0400

Simon: I find the assumption of Empire illuminating. Pax Americana, just like its classical stablemate is founded on war and profit and there is no perceived alternative. That's the problem.

Eric: I supplied two alternatives in the part of my post you copied: well-maintained spheres of regional influence or a world run by China (or some other budding superpower).

Simon: The alternative, and there is an alternative, is a vision of mutual security through economic union, sharing resources, sharing markets, rather than a dominating emprire.

Eric: That's fine as long as everyone plays well with others.

Simon: ...we might expect to see different solutions, but what we are seeing is a US President who sees military might as an opportunity to create Empire.

Eric: The American empire was a fact for a long time before either Bush, but it is a default position. If Europe took responsibility for its "sphere of influence," such as in the Balkans or Iraq, none of these Americans actions would have occurred. Granted, two world wars have made Europeans timid about projecting force beyond their borders, but that has helped create the default American empire.

People who reflect on American empire usually reach two conclusions: (1) it will not last, and (2) it will be missed when it is gone and replaced by another empire.

Simon: How much would it cost to create the conditions for civilisation in the third world? If the impoverished could see hope rather than a continuation of economic struggle, wouldn't they also hold different attitudes towards their own doomsayers.

Eric: The West cannot--repeat CANNOT--raise the rest of the world to its standard of living without utterly trashing the planet. Rather, a different, humane, sustainable type of living standard should be the goal. In this regard the "third world" could play the lead in appropriate technology, affordable medicine, renewable resources, etc., and the West could follow.