[lit-ideas] Re: Punitive Expeditions

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 14:42:27 -0700

From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

But no Kudos for Andreas who not only loses my notes but forgets what I
wrote in them.  I have said on numerous occasions that I hoped Fukuyama was
right and that the inexorable spread of Liberal Democracy would mean an end
to war, but I feared Huntington was right.

I know what you wrote, and you're wrong. Fukuyama indeed thinks the spread of democracy will mean the end of war, but for him and for you, that's a bad thing.

What we would probably engage in is what Ralph Peters refers to as punitive
expeditions.  If Iraq fails for the reasons indicated, we may entirely give
up the idea of occupying a Middle Eastern country and opt for the punitive
expedition instead.

So Lawrence agrees: the US lost the war in Iraq. Just whack the Arabs. No more pansy stuff about democracy or human rights.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com