[lit-ideas] Re: Helm's World

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 00:43:15 -0700

Lawrence Helm wrote (quoting his friend in Iraq):

“Interestingly, we have many Croatian, Slovenian, and I think Macedonian troops over here. Most of the old Warsaw Pact (or Soviet Union!) has troops here as well: Poles[*], Ukrainians[**], Latvians, Lithuanians, Czechs, Slovakians> Romanians, Bulgarians. I forget who else. Also Mongolians. Apparently all these nations prefer US leadership to a world filled with terrorism.”

[I've added the asterisks in brackets to Lawrence's post and put corresponding unbound asterisks in the Global Security text.]

From http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iraq_orbat_coalition.htm

'The size and capabilities of the Coalition forces involved in operations in Iraq has been a subject of much debate, confusion, and at times exaggeration. As of July 1, 2005, there were 26 non-U.S. military forces participating in the coalition and contributing to the ongoing stability operations throughout Iraq. These countries were: Albania, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Estonia, Georgia, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Mongolia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, United Kingdom, and Ukraine.

… … …

'The Kingdom of Tonga's contingent of 40+ troops returned home on December 17, 2004. Hungary completely pulled its troops out of Iraq by December 22, 2004. Portugal withdrew its contingent of policemen after having been in Iraq for 15 months in February 2005. Moldova withdrew its contingent of 12 in February 2005. Fiji initially deployed 150 troops to Iraq, and later an additional 90, but they are there under UN banner (UNAMI) and are therefore not be counted in the coalition. Singapore deployed a ship to the Persian Gulf on Nov. 27, which returned home in March 2005 but since the country does not actually contribute troops on the ground in Iraq, it was not included in the coalition count. Armenia deployed 46 troops to Iraq in mid-January 2005. A new arrival to the list is Bosnia and Herzegovina which deployed an EOD platoon to Iraq in June 2005.

'Countries which had troops in or supported operations in Iraq at one point but have pulled out since: Nicaragua (Feb. 2004); Spain (late-Apr. 2004); Dominican Republic (early-May 2004); Honduras (late-May 2004); Philippines (~Jul. 19, 2004); Thailand (late-Aug. 2004); New Zealand (late Sep. 2004); Tonga (mid-Dec. 2004) Hungary (end Dec. 2004); Portugal (mid-Feb. 2005); Moldova (Feb. 2005);

'Countries planning to withdraw from Iraq: Poland* (starting Jan.05 and completed by end.05(?)); Bulgaria (end of 2005, depending on circumstances); Ukraine** (entire contingent, in stages until ~ Oct. 2005)

'Countries which have reduced or are planning to reduce their troop commitment: Ukraine (-200 during Fall.04 rotation); Moldova (reduced contingent to 12 around mid-2004); Norway (reduced from ~150 to 10 late-Jun.04, early Jul.04); Bulgaria (-50, Dec.04); Poland (-700, Feb.05); Italy (-300 expected in Sept. 05(decrease apparently began in mid-Aug. 05)); Netherlands (reduced from ~1,345 to 4; ~Mar. 2005)'
I will say, Lawrence, that your friend gets around a lot; I believe that most of the 'non-US/UK' forces are scattered about the country. If his editorial comment had any merit, it would seem to have less merit now, in light of the planned withdrawal of the forces mentioned in the Global Security summary. It's good to see the Mongols (all 160 of them) back in Iraq. Peace.

Robert Paul
Reed College