[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and the End of... well...

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:17:33 -0800

Lawrence wrote:

I believe the letter Fukuyama signed during the Clinton administration called for “regime change” and not for invasion. There was a law past during the Clinton administration calling for Regime Change in Iraq and Clinton signed it. People called for Regime Change without wanting an invasion. Condi Rice got $95,000,000 from congress to support a Regime Change in Iran.

'In Mr. Fukuyama's case, the criticisms suggest a marked evolution in perspective. In 1998, Mr. Fukuyama signed a letter sponsored by Project for the New American Century urging the Clinton administration to take a harder line against Iraq, and in the days after the terrorist attacks of 9/11 he signed another from the group, which asserted that "any strategy aiming at the eradication of terrorism and its sponsors must include a determined effort to remove Saddam Hussein from power."

'In the wake of the Bush administration's enunciation of a doctrine of pre-emption and its big-shouldered, go-it-alone approach to foreign policy, however, Mr. Fukuyama began to voice concerns. In an op-ed article in The Washington Post published on the second anniversary of 9/11, he warned that "overreaction to Sept. 11 will lead to a world in which the United States and its policies remain the chief focus of global concern," also saying that "the tremendous margin of power exercised by the United States in the security realm brings with it special responsibilities to use that power prudently." '

[From Michiko Kakutani's review of Fukuyama's book yesterday, in the
NY Times.]

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/14/books/14kaku.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

(I think that one has to register with the Times to read the complete review. I'd be glad to email it to anyone who'd like to see it.)

Robert Paul
Reed College