[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and the End of... well...

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:33:05 -0800

I believe the letter Fukuyama signed during the Clinton administration
called for "regime change" and not for invasion.  There was a law past
during the Clinton administration calling for Regime Change in Iraq and
Clinton signed it.  People called for Regime Change without wanting an
invasion.  Condi Rice got $95,000,000 from congress to support a Regime
Change in Iran.

I don't need to Google Fukuyama & Neoconservative.  I've been reading and
describing his ideas for years.  He was the main theorist that the Neocons
hark back to; however there is a big difference between Fukuyama and the
rest.  When he advanced his theory of the End of History, he was speaking in
a sort of Marxist sense, of something that forces of history were going to
bring about.  He was not proposing the activism that people like Krauthammer
proposed.  Fukuyama realized that governments needed to take actions of
various kinds, but he did not want the U.S. to advance Democracy militarily.

But, you really should read his book.  He doesn't support one of your
assumptions.  He says the influence of Neocon ideas on the present
administration has been vastly overrated.  The people making the policy in
the White House are not Neocons.

However, we are on a tangent.  I recommended Fukuyama's book to you because
the position he describes as Realistic Wilsonianism seems to be close to the
position you advocate.

Lawrence