[lit-ideas] Re: Friday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 12:58:18 -0700

On Jul 21, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

As for running the kilted mile, it turns out that I sent in my entry
form after the deadline. Maybe next year.

What a shame.  Well certainly next year.

Under a fine Scottish summer sky--heavy clouds with occasional bright spots, also showers--a grand time was had by all at the Portland Highland Games. Number one daughter did well. Number two daughter put in a surprise performance, coming in fourth behind: the Canadian champion, another fine Canadian dancer, our regional champion.

Those of you who share my interest in spinning stories out of thin source material may want to look at the CARFAX report that is attached to the web display of the factory armored MB S500 Sports Sedan. I had assumed that such a vehicle would have been part of a diplomatic fleet or maybe belonged to someone in the mafia. The CARFAX report suggests that both theories may be true; that it spent the first part of its life in Maryland, moved to San Francisco and then--here's the bit I find interesting--moved to Butte Falls, Oregon.

Never heard of Butte Falls?  Neither had I.

http://www.upperrogue.org/butte_falls.htm

I leave it to you to describe the circumstances which cause an armor plated Mercedes to be owned in such a place. All I can think of is the witness protection program.

David Ritchie
still strangely tempted in
Portland, Oregon