[lit-ideas] Re: Faith

  • From: Brian <cabrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:48:19 -0500

On May 16, 2005, at 3:08 PM, Paul Stone wrote:

>> How so?  Why are they mutually exclusive?
>>

> Because, as I define faith, it is a belief/hope/understanding that
> something is true without ANY proof whatsoever. It's even MORE
> nebulous
> than liking chocolate ice cream.

I was going to answer one of your earlier posts when I saw this one
come in.  When Voltaire said "if any man come reason with me let us
first define our terms" he was affirming the basic structure of human
reasoning that manifests itself in three acts of the mind: (1)
understanding, (2) judging and (3) reasoning.  These three acts of
the mind are expressed in (1) terms, (2) propositions and (3)
arguments.  I do not agree with your definition of faith so when we
are using the word we are using a term in two different ways and it
is muddying the rest of the dialogue.  You are defining faith in a
type of Freudian wish fulfillment role and I'm not so unless we can
agree on a definition we are at an impasse right out of the gate.

~Brian~