[lit-ideas] Re: Elephant Man "Willie Bounce" of Grenada

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 15:10:19 -0700

On Oct 13, 2012, at 6:07 AM, Donal McEvoy wrote:

> >Does anyone recognize the passage? (I've replaced the protagonist's name
> >with the letter 'Q'.)
>
> Not me, but (using a contemporary technique David R once deployed to discern
> which of two purported poems was genuine) googled it. My excuse for this
> shameful behaviour was that I wanted to make sure it wasn't Joyce. It is a
> futher sign of the times that after the first google entry (that gives the
> source) the next is "granny creampie video", and next "bdsm in holland" usw.

I got "skincare for men."

Though I've read the book, and Princes Street is a big clue, I wasn't sure of
the source.  Look up "Orange Walk" and you'll find parade and march being used
synonymously.  The Order, says Wikipedia, "prefers terms such as walk or
demonstration."  No indication why.  It is called "the marching season."

David Ritchie,
under leaden skies in
Portland, Oregon