[lit-ideas] Re: Elephant Man "Willie Bounce" of Grenada

  • From: cblitid@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 16:43:29 +0200

On 11-Oct-12, at 3:37 AM, David Ritchie wrote:

... I gave a lecture in class today--a rare thing--a compare and contrast examination of parades all around the world. I was thinking about their history and any claim to be historic. ...

The idea of 'historic parades' triggered memories of - not a parade, but a MARCH. While showing visitors of Canada around the weekly market (garden produce) four and half years ago, the (rather sparsely attended) traditional Easter Peace March went by. It was only after a bit of research that I determined that this was the 50th anniversary march - the first having taken place on Easter Saturday, 1958.

In German:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostermarsch

In English:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldermaston_Marches

I then realised that I was thinking not of a 'parade', but a 'march' - and only then recognized a curiosity about the usage: the pacifists use the term 'march' while the military favours 'parade' for their exhibitions.

Chris Bruce,
following the beat of a
different drummer, in
Kiel, Germany