[lit-ideas] Re: Elephant Man "Willie Bounce" of Grenada

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 13:51:43 +0100 (BST)

________________________________
 From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>

>Not being as fluent as Donal in evidential implications, I gave them a bit of
>a google.

Some would say that being largely "circumstantial", lawyers have no special
fluency in these evidential implications...

>and sought comfort in the familiar pages of "The Invention of Tradition."

Which itself invents a tradition of marking things with a comment about 'the
invention of tradition'....and really might have been more accurately titled
"The Invention of Some Supposed Traditions". Clearly, in some sense all
traditions all invented (have some origin, even some non-traditional origin);
but, as being an invention does not make it therefore a tradition, more is
involved in something being a tradition than its invention. See Poppers
'Towards a Rationalist Theory of Tradition' in "Conjectures and Refutations",
where afair Popper makes the bold claim that, of all the sources of our
knowledge, 'tradition' is the most important [though fallible].

Dnl
Ldn