[lit-ideas] Re: Defending Offense.

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:43:14 -0500

My early suggestion--that the cartoon crisis coinciding with Iran's referral to the Security Council was suspicious--now has a public advocate. -EY

_________

...the United States accused Iran and Syria of deliberately stoking the anger.

“Iran and Syria have gone out of their way to inflame sentiments and to use this to their own purposes and the world ought to call them on it,” Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said at a joint news conference with Israel’s foreign minister.

Asked for proof the two governments sparked violence, Rice’s spokesman Sean McCormack said, “What we have seen in Damascus and Tehran is qualitatively different than we have seen in other places.”

“Burning two embassies in Damascus doesn’t happen without the knowledge of the Syrian government,” McCormack said, adding that in Iran, where embassies have also been targeted, attacks could not have happened without the knowledge or assistance of the Iranian government.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11233372/