[lit-ideas] Re: Defending Offense.

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:37:41 -0800

I don't believe you have this right.  The U.S. has spent enormous money
making sure collateral damage is kept to a minimum.  It has honed its
weapons to be more accurate, and indeed the deaths, both American casualties
and collateral damage, have been lower than in any other comparable war.
The U.S. is vitally concerned about this.  You are not correct to say we
consider life cheap.  Our position is quite opposite to that.  In fact our
being overly concern about life hampers us in our war against the Islamists.

The Islamists say we are too concerned and therefore don't have the stomach
for bloody battle that the Islamists do.  This causes them to believe
they'll win in the long run.  And I tend to think they have something there.
Our preoccupation with avoiding causalities and collateral damage doesn't
keep our mind and heart in the business of defeating one of the most brutal
and insensitive enemies we've ever encountered.

Lawrence