[lit-ideas] Re: Bush taking apart SS

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 20:17:21 -0400

Brian: To which I replied with the Congressional Budget Office numbers
showing exactly what I claimed.  You responded that they were raw
(but not inaccurate) and suggested I read a book.  How that would
refute the facts is still unclear.  You can easily locate both
effective tax rates and IRS income stats (http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/
pub/irs-soi/01in01ts.xls) that make a mockery of your claims.

Eric: Yes, those are the rates, but what are the taxes paid by the top
1,000 wealthiest people? The top 10,000 wealthiest people? There's a
difference between the rate and the taxes actually paid.

When I have a moment, I'll see if I can find the actual tax payments. I
know Forbes occasionally reports stuff about the top 10,000 wealthiest
paying no taxes at all.