[lit-ideas] Re: Awakening from the Nightmare of History

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 09:24:22 -0400

I said it was a secret ambition.  Creation is certainly fun in and of
itself, but it's awfully nice to have it read and appreciated by others,
especially through the ages.

 Most are happy to see their skill
> improve, publish a story, sell a painting, play at a respected hall,
> etc.

No doubt.  Those good reviews are nice too.

> If you really want to get all blocked up, one of the best ways is to
> sit down in the morning and think, "Now I shall write my immortal
> sestina." Pow! Major creative block.
>
> Art is discovery. Painters discover new ways of seeing. Writers
> discover new verbal effects. Immortality is probably more for the
> audience.

No doubt about this too.  Still, people are often the last to know their
innermost thoughts and desires.  Some are honest about it, like John
Milton, who set out to write an immortal work and actually succeeded at it.

> "Heard Pollini play at Carnegie Hall last night."
> "What did he play?"
> "Mostly immortal stuff...oh yeah, and some contemporary composers."

I would imagine "immortal stuff" is code for Bach and Mozart.  Immortal
works for me.