[lit-ideas] Re: Awakening from the Nightmare of History

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:53:23 -0400

Some thoughtful questions here.  I do agree that war either serves some sort of
mythological, symbolic function, some acting out of a collective psychic wound,
or it just proves that humanity has neither rhyme nor reason for its behavior.
We simply love war, love blood.  The sheer pointlessness of WWI would argue in
favor of the latter.  The mind bending techniques that were used in WWI by the
British to convince men to go to their deaths in fighting for their country are
now used by jihadists to convince people to be suicide bombers in support of
their cause.  I tend to think that the ability to send animals to their deaths
in vast numbers (cows, sheep, pigs) is the same mentality that sends men to
their deaths with equal impunity.  (No plug for PETA here, just an observation.)