[lit-ideas] Re: A Question REALLY Answered

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:59:57 -0500

I looked on Google for a definition.  I found this one from "Ask Amy" of
feminist.com:

http://www.feminist.com/askamy/feminism/fem172.html
"I think that the most accessible definition of feminism is the dictionary
definition: the movement toward the full social, political, and economic
equality of all people. The positive sides are obviously that it liberates each
individual to be an individual regardless of their gender. The negative side
could be that it will take so much work to break down thousands of years of
conditioning--and some people, I'm sure, would rather live as status quo. In
other words, some people would rather live complacently--being told what to do
rather than deciding what you want to do

It sort of ties into Emerson, today's Quote of the Day:

"Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where
there is no path and leave a trail."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't particularly like Emerson, which might be prejudice.  It is rather glib
to say go where there is no trail.  Still, the idea is, be an individual, think
for yourself.  Joseph Campbell might work better in this context with his
Hero's Journey into one's own self.

They say that women want to be sex objects because of evolution.  I think it's
because working for a living stinks, for both men and women.  The problem is
that the alternative, not working, is worse.  Also, given that one out of two
marriages ends in divorce, staking one's livelihood on marriage is iffy.