[Linux-Anyway] XFree86 vs. Xorg (was: 19" CRT Monitor setup in SW9.1)

  • From: Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 14:18:08 +0100

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 12:31:25 +0000, John Richard Smith
<BAGSOFCHOICE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> First off, no /etc/X11/xf86config
> replaced with,  /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Cue the history lesson :)

The framework that Linux distributions use to display graphics is a
client-server architecture called X Window. More precisely, the 11th
version of it, 6th release, hence the X11R6 directories in various places in
the filesystem.

What's interesting about X11 is that the server (the machine doing the
displaying) and the client (the machine running the application with stuff
to display) don't have to be the same machine. I'll often do something like
that is I need to access my mail on this machine while sitting in another
room using the laptop.

On the laptop I'll just run "xhost +192.168.1.254" to allow applications on
this machine to use the laptop's display, then I'll ssh into this machine
and run "DISPLAY=192.168.0.3:0 sylpheed". Sylpheed will be running on this
machine but the display and input will be happening on the laptop.

XFree86 is one implementation of the X11R6 protocol. However, when it
reached version 4.4.0 there were licensing issues that many people didn't
like, despite it being the de facto standard in Linux distributions for
many years.

Xorg is a different implementation of X11R6. AFAIK it's released under the
terms of the GNU GPL, which makes it perfectly compatible with GNU/Linux
distributions.

Many distributions have stopped including XFree86 and have switched to Xorg
precisely because of the licensing problems. Slackware 10 is one of them.

More to the point for you, "xf86config" has been replaced with "xorgconfig".

As for "xvidtune", it should be there. It *is* there in my (FreeBSD-5.3)
system using Xorg.

Yep. It's there. Or it should be.

I have the ISO images of Slack 10 on a Linux partition here, so I mounted
the image of the 1st installation CD and looked for xvidtune in the
appropriate package:

:/cdrom/slackware/x $ tar -tzf x11-6.7.0-i486-4.tgz | grep xvidtune
usr/X11R6/bin/xvidtune
usr/X11R6/man/man1/xvidtune.1x.gz

Could it be that /usr/X11R6/bin isn't in your $PATH ?

Also,

:/cdrom/slackware/x $ tar -tzf x11-6.7.0-i486-4.tgz | grep x[^/]*config$
usr/X11R6/bin/xorgconfig
usr/X11R6/bin/xcursor-config
usr/X11R6/bin/xft-config

--
It does not matter if you fall down as long as you pick
up something from the floor while you get up.