[Linux-Anyway] Re: Feel like messing things up

  • From: Raquel Rice <raquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:26:00 -0700

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:26:34 -0400
Mercy Design "Mercy Design" <MercyDesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I'm in Northern California and DSL isn't available here!  I had
> > get ISDN ... at great expense.
> >
> > --
> > Raquel
>  No DSL in northern cali? Wow, i'm very surprised!
>
> I have DSL.  It's not cheap.  i'm on a contract for $39.95 a month
> until
> September.  Then it'll be $49.95 a month, unless it goes up again.
>  sheesh.
>
> But, it sure beats aohell.
>
> Mercy

Down in the valley there are several choices for DSL.  Up here,
we're sometimes lucky to have electricity.  One of my expeditures in
the near future will be a generator to keep the computers up when we
lose power.  All it takes is a squirrel to climb up inside a
transformer (fried squirrel) or a tree limb to fall on a power line
and we're out for 5 hours to 2 days.

I'd be more than happy to pay $50 for fast, consistent upload speed.
 Running list, mail and web servers doesn't require the download
speed, but that's what DSL brings.

If I could get enough neighbors interested in wireless, I'd bring a
T-1 in.  The guy who runs my ISP was trying to convince me a couple
of weeks ago.  I'm far from ready for that though.  Besides, I don't
think I have enough "line-of-site" neighbors to make it pay.

--
Raquel