[Linux-Anyway] Re: Feel like messing things up

  • From: Scott Robbins <scottro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 00:02:32 -0500

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 11:38:32PM -0400, Mercy Design wrote:

> >   Mercy,
> >

> Ok... why am I doing that?  What do you mean the IP addy of my windows
> partition?  Collor me confused....

He's telling you to do it so that we can give the Linux box the same
address that the Windows one has. He wants you to get the info from
Windows, and transfer it over. (This isn't the way I'd do it, but he's
the one taking this in hand, so...)

> I just don't know why it's necessary.. if you don't mind explaining why,
> please do.  I mean, i *shouldn't* have any problems getting online with
> linux again now that I have the program I need.  (Famous last
> words...)

Meph is trying to make this painless.  His idea, which isn't a bad one,
is that this way, you won't have to worry about the Linux box getting an
address from a server--you'll just use the one that Windows has.

> what's with getting an IP addy of thw win partition?  Eh?  sorry...  It's
> the disk druid part that's going to f--- me up.  Augh!
>
> Ok... so, to humor myself, i typed "winipconfig" in "run" and says it
> doesn't exist, so i did "ipconfig" and it poped up a li'l dos screen which
> promptly disapeared as fast as it came up.  grrrrrrrr.

Do
Start=>Run  In the text box, type command  (If it's Win2k or XP just
type cmd)

That will open up a dos type black window with a prompt looking like

    >   (depending upon what version of Windows, it might say documents
    >   and settings, or something else before the prompt, for example
    C:\Documents and Settings\Mercy >

    At the prompt type ipconfig--actually, I think you're better off
    typing
    ipconfig  | more

    This will give you the address, the subnet mask, the gateway and
    some other stuff--the other thing you want is the ip address of the
    DNS servers.

> who'm I kidding anyway?  I'm too f'in stupid for all this sh*t.  I have no
> faith in the idea of getting things to work the way I'd like them to.  If
> life has taught me anything, it's that nothing ever goes the way I'd like it
> to :)

Well, as one of my users said, the other day, "I need a new life--this
one isn't working."  On the other hand, the original author of the BOFH
series ( Bas**rd Operator from He*l) once wrote, in a more serious vein,
that he feels life is a gift, and we should be grateful for it--on the
other hand of course, Buddhism says, All life is suffering and
Christianity calls it a vale of tears, both somewhat more poetic ways of
saying, Life stinks.  :)

AND TO THINK... i probably have a good 40 - 50 years left of it...  I
> think the pissy mood has passed, and now i'm having a pitty party.  Anyone
> care to join me?  I've goot beer...

Ah, yes, that old goot beer---.

Heh--believe me, even the gurus (and I don't mean me, I mean the real
ones) go through things like this.  Take a look at RH's installation
guide online at their site, it gives graphics of disk druid.  It becomes
far less intimidating after you've done it a few times.

> Anyway, sorry to rant here, i'm just in one hell of a mood.  sorry.  damn
> it... where's my bottle opener?

Use the counter.  :)

Hey, I once managed to delete 5 partitions, 4 with their own O/S during
a botched install--whatever errors you make, others have done worse

--
Scott

 Cordelia: What's going on? Oh god, is the world ending? I have to
research a paper on Bosnia for tomorrow, but if the world's ending,
I'm not gonna bother.