[Linux-Anyway] Re: Feel like messing things up

  • From: "Mercy Design" <MercyDesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 23:59:15 -0400

> He's telling you to do it so that we can give the Linux box the same
> address that the Windows one has. He wants you to get the info from
> Windows, and transfer it over. (This isn't the way I'd do it, but he's
> the one taking this in hand, so...)
> >
> > I just don't know why it's necessary.. if you don't mind explaining why,
> > please do.  I mean, i *shouldn't* have any problems getting online with
> > linux again now that I have the program I need.  (Famous last
> > words...)
>

> Meph is trying to make this painless.  His idea, which isn't a bad one,
> is that this way, you won't have to worry about the Linux box getting an
> address from a server--you'll just use the one that Windows has.

Yes, i aprecieate the fact that everyone's trying to make this painless...
don't let me make you believe i'm not greatful for that, as I really am.

and I found the IP stuff... posted it a few moments before your post came
through...

<snip>

> > who'm I kidding anyway?  I'm too f'in stupid for all this sh*t.  I have
no
> > faith in the idea of getting things to work the way I'd like them to.
If
> > life has taught me anything, it's that nothing ever goes the way I'd
like it
> > to :)
>
> Well, as one of my users said, the other day, "I need a new life--this
> one isn't working."  On the other hand, the original author of the BOFH
> series ( Bas**rd Operator from He*l) once wrote, in a more serious vein,
> that he feels life is a gift, and we should be grateful for it--on the
> other hand of course, Buddhism says, All life is suffering and
> Christianity calls it a vale of tears, both somewhat more poetic ways of
> saying, Life stinks.  :)

*nod*  Yep... no doubt about it. :)

> AND TO THINK... i probably have a good 40 - 50 years left of it...  I
> > think the pissy mood has passed, and now i'm having a pitty party.
Anyone
> > care to join me?  I've goot beer...
>
> Ah, yes, that old goot beer---.

LOLOLOL!!!  Ok, i needed to laugh.  and I really did laugh out loud & woke
up hubby hahaha.  oh well, he'll fall asleep again (I hope)

> Heh--believe me, even the gurus (and I don't mean me, I mean the real
> ones) go through things like this.  Take a look at RH's installation
> guide online at their site, it gives graphics of disk druid.  It becomes
> far less intimidating after you've done it a few times.

*ohm* Bow to Guru Scott <grin>  Yes, I will look at RH's installation guide
again before i try this.  need to refresh my "memory".  Damn... wish I could
add a few more cards to my brain...

> > Anyway, sorry to rant here, i'm just in one hell of a mood.  sorry.
damn
> > it... where's my bottle opener?
>
> Use the counter.  :)
>
> Hey, I once managed to delete 5 partitions, 4 with their own O/S during
> a botched install--whatever errors you make, others have done worse

Youch.

I'm sure others have done worse.  And I'm sure the worst is yet to come
<grin>...  Remember, I'm here on this list... this just means more money for
tylenol (unless of course you prefer asprin or aleve or whatever).

Mercy