[Linux-Anyway] Re: Can't mount drive

  • From: storm <storm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:47:14 -0600

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 11:30, Meph Istopheles wrote:

>   Hey, I like the sound of this.  Curious, if one made an
> install, configured it, etc; then did this dd to a drive which is
> only a little larger than the data on the installed disk, would
> there be any problems if the install went wonky, & one partition
> & formatted the disk & dd'd the data fromt he small, back-up
> drive to the install drive...?  I'm thinking that something to do
> with drive sizes & sectors, etc might get screwy, but then it's
> only a ghost of what was on the larger drive....  Ah, of all
> things 'puter, I think hard drive physics confuse me most.

Sorry to horn in here, but if you want to try dd and make a copy of a
whole drive, but maybe are not comfy with the syntax and stuff, look at
g4u it uses dd to make the image. With the use of an ftp client, you
save the image to another machine and can restore it as often as you
like.  I suspect with dd as with g4u if you write the image back to a
larger drive, you will have to manually partition the remaining space.

http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

God luck,
stormi