[Linux-Anyway] Re: Can't mount drive

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:03:03 -0700 (PDT)

> Yes, but he's not something computer-related by trade, is he?

  Fortunately, for us, no.

> We're very well-trained in this kind of thing, so we get in our
> worst of tempers even before we get to the problem, and words
> like "fool", "idiot", "arsehole", "arrogant ass" etc. soon
> start flying to and fro. I guess it would be pretty funny for
> an outsider to see

  Ah, sounds like end-user support...just before the tech is
pulled from the call & asked to clean out her/his desk;-).

> >   Nice to know I'm not alone.  The only reason I didn't take
> > the Linux cert test was because of the hard drive knowledge
> > requirements.  Ever looked at the lessons on that?  The test
> > requres onle know things about hard drives NO admin would
> > expect a low-level admin help desk operator to know --
> > particularly when there's software which would do anything
> > one needed to know about those advanced hard drive subjects
> > faster & more effectively than one would manually.  I found
> > it all too stupid.

> You talking about LPI?

  Exactly.

> You're right, the tests are idiotic. I've read through couple
> of them, and would be tearing my hair out if I hadn't shaven it
> off... Questions like "which flags would you pass to the
> command so-and-so to gain output that contains this and that
> information" - hell, what the -h, --help, man and info are all
> there for?

  This is what really threw me.  I'm glad I'd only paid for a
couple of self-run courses, rather than having spent the $2500.00
plus for an instructor led class -- which, I understand, is no
better than the self course which the promise of (unanswered)
e-mail access to an instructor.  I'd tested the e-mail access as
well as one course's on-line forumns.  Got no response at all
with either.

> If I were interviewing an applicant for a job I certainly
> wouldn't employ somebody whose expertise consists in having
> learnt pages over pages of flags to every goddamn command there
> is! IMHO, learning things by heart is not the thing that will
> make you a good *nix administrator, rather the very damned
> opposite. Idiotic. I'd even say that the tests are worse than
> my MCSE tests have been with regard to practical use.

  I find it worse with what is called "college educated" here in
the states.  Very few of the people I deal with who possess that
piece of paper from a college even have the slightest knowledge
of their subjects they'd studied, let alone any brains to use
such knowledge.

  Sorry, I've been very frustrated lately by the whole "boys
club" of "proof".  Certs & degrees mean nothing, yet the jobs I
find paying decently are few & far between -- &, naturally,
surround me with morons making even more money than I because
they have some paper.

--
  Law of Probable Dispersal:
  Whatever it is that hits the fan will not be evenly