[Linux-Anyway] Can't mount drive

  • From: Meph Istopheles <Meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux Anyway <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:10:17 -0700 (PDT)

  Hey,

  I'm trying to move data from hdd (it actually came out of my
brother's Linux box, but as he's technophobe, I'm going to give
hime XP or W98, depending on how bad XP is on his P-II 333).

  Anyway, I'd moved the stuff he wants to keep to a backup drive,
& I have that drive set up on my system.  I've set the fstab line
for hdd to look just like hdb, as each is partitioned & formatted
ext2.  While I can mount hdd1 (which was swap on his 'puter), I
cannot mount hdd2, wher his data is.

When I mount hdd2, I get:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd2,
       or too many mounted file systems

But fdisk says:

/dev/hdd1               1          65      522081   83  Linux
/dev/hdd2              66         525     3694950   83  Linux

  And fstab has:

/dev/hdd1   /Tempo      ext2        user,auto,rw     1   1
/dev/hdd2   /Tempo2     ext2        user,auto,rw     1   1

so, as hdd1 mounts, & hdd2 ~was~ mounting on his system, I don't
see why it won't now on mine.

  Any idea how I can just get the data off -- with or without
mounting the partition?

  Meph

--
  New Hampshire law forbids you to tap your feet, nod your head,
  or in any way keep time to the music in a tavern, restaurant,