[Linux-Anyway] Re: Windblows total screw up

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:01:45 -0700 (PDT)

> >   I've a similar issue with a Maxtor 80GB drive, which, right
> > now, is only working as a 40GB drive.  I'd intended using it
> > in my Windows box & first installed XP Pro on it.  It came up
> > as a 40GB drive in spite of the bios reporting just over
> > 80GB.

> Ok, that's two of you, meaning Maxtor is #undef for me as HD
> makers go.

  Yes, but I think, though I'm not dedicated to Maxtor, that
they'll get it right eventually, as their drives tend to work
with any OS (maybe not Mac -- dunno).  Anyway, of all the hassles
I've with with drives, I like Maxtor best.  Most of the trouble
is due to some of the manufacturers still thinking that there's
such a small percentage of 'puter users running anything other
than M$ that what they call "alternative" OS support is limited,
at best.

> Similar thing happened to Netgear, whose NIC gave me trouble
> (hardware-side: occasionaly it would just stop working, on
> Linux and OpenBSD), and on which trouble has been reported by
> others.

  I'd had a NetGear nic, a long time ago, which was supposed to
be about the best in the mid-range.  Damn thing simply wouldn't
work with Linux -- no matter what driver recommended either by
Netgear ~or~ Linux users.  I finally gave up & traded it for some
crappy thing which worked with (at that time) Linux & W95.

> >   And why are you installing W2k?  Is this the only OS cd you
> > have available & the only 'puter?

> It's because of applications only available on Windows.

  Ah, the continuing saga.  I realised that if I'm ever rich
(because I want big-dick hardware;-), that I'd have a good laptop
dual-booting some Windows & slack -- ~or~ just Mac OS X, a
workstation dedicated to Linux, my W98 box for dos & Windows
games, some incarnation of NT for M$ productivity apps, as well
as a Web server running either slack or FBSD.  And with my 8-port
kvm, I would still only need one monitor;-).

> Apropos: a friend of mine has crossover office (or crossover,
> or however that's called) and runs MS Office, IE and Outlook on
> his redhat machine (the IE and Outlook just for testing). It
> works quite well - IE even bugs with
> "I'm-not-the-default-browser-please-let-me-be-it" crap when
> starting.

  The fact it's commercial is the only reason I've never tried
crossover.  It sounds really cool, but cheap-skates like me won't
do it.

  Meph

--
  Death is Nature's way of recycling human beings.