[Linux-Anyway] Re: Windblows total screw up

  • From: John Richard Smith <bagsofchoice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:47:23 +0100

Godwin Stewart wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:51:51 +0100, John Richard Smith
><bagsofchoice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>OK, I've done that from rescue terminal, like this,
>>
>>ss if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
>>
>>which returned,
>>1+0 records in
>>1+0 records out
>>
>>OK, I think ?
>>

>Yes.
>
>>Whether it be dos fdisk ot PM8 both still think I have two
>>HD's when I only have the one.
>>first  drive 117gigs
>>second drive  65gigs
>>

>They think you have 2 hard disks or 2 volumes on the same hard disk?
>
>>So something else must still be lurking around somewhere to
>>cause these apps to read this way, I think.
>>
>>I'm not sure if maybe I still have a problem.
>>What do people think
>>

>Maybe you ought to wipe much more of the disk than just the MBR and master
>partition table. Try clobbering about 50 megs of disk, which should wipe
>everything out:
>
># dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1048576 count=50

Hmm, well,
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1048576 count =50
returned ,
50+0 records in
50+0 records out

but still both dos fdisk and PM8   seem to reading something else,
because , for isntance PM8, says,

Disk1-117239MB
Disk2-62MB

now that is still daft. So where can it be getting this idea from.

Can the boot message about , setting DMI -- accomplished successfully,
be a clue , I'm never seen anything like this before in my boot scripts.

DMI = Desktop Management Interface,  whatever that means, but it's
something to do with the boot process, according to maxtor ?

John