[Linux-Anyway] Re: Windblows total screw up

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:32:01 +0200

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:13:23 +0100 John wrote:

> Maxtor do a programme called powermax which is essentially a low level
>
> formatting tool,
> but I cannot get the dam thing to run from a dos A: prompt.

Do you have Knoppix? You might try booting the machine with it and then
fdisk the HD.

By the way: how recent is your motherboard/BIOS? BIOS always has a limit
on drive size it can cope with. Your problem seems to be unrelated to
this, but installing a larg-ish drive on an old-ish motherboard is
always a bit problematic. Perhaps the disc is too fast for your MoBo?

> Before anyone takes me to task about installing W2000, let me tell you
>
> it is not from choice.

Hrm, I was just able to contain myself. You're lucky that it's w2k,
which of all MS OS's I like the most (rather: I despise the least). If
you said you were installing XP, there's no telling what the
consequences would be, but adjectives like "grave", "fatal" and
"ghastly" pop readily into mind as likely to be used ;)

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui

Registered Linux user #257714