[Linux-Anyway] Re: Windblows total screw up

  • From: John Richard Smith <bagsofchoice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:17:06 +0100

Godwin Stewart wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:57:17 +0100, John Richard Smith
><bagsofchoice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>How do you clear out an invalid partition table and start again?
>>

>Boot into a Linux setup off a CD, then:
>
># dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdx bs=512 count=1
>
>Replace "hdx" with the device node of where your drive is plugged in (hda,
>hdb etc...)
>
>This will overwrite the MBR and the master partition table. Your disk will
>be like the day it left the factory.

Ah, good man, that's what I wanted, I knew linux would have an answer,
just a question of finding it. Is that a Linux CD1 , like mandrake CD1
---> to rescue , if so will I need to mount the drive, I guess , rescue
terminal in mandrake don't give you much to directly work with, and if
I'm right then I need to create a directoy and the something like,

mount /dev/hda  /mnt/temp    first ?

John