[LRflex] Re: and on... the R10

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 14:43:49 -0700

Charlie Falke asked:

<<speaking of AA filters>>

>The lack of the AA filter does seem to be a day and night difference
>based on the results shown in this list. Are those the only cameras
>so configured?

Hi Charlie!

All digi-backs (to my knowledge) for Medium and Large Format cameras
are made without AA filters.

The M8 and DMR are the only 35mm and sub-35mm sized digital cameras
w/o an AA filter.  However, they were not the first. Years ago, one
of the Kodak Pro digitals, had a removable AA filter. Otherwise, all
dSLRs (certainly all from Nikon, Canon, Oly, Pentax, Fuji, Sony etc.)
have an AA filter ... some more effective (aggressive) than others.

The only exceptions are P&S digis' with tiny sensors. In these
cameras, the pixels are so small, they do not warrant a filter for
the prevention of Moire patterns.  However, such cameras are not
noted for their freedom from noise, high ISO capabilities or their
rendering of fine details, either!

Hope this helps.