[LRflex] Re: Summicron 50mm take apart?

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 01:19:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Steve,
   the 'viewfinder size' effect you commented upon between rebels and the 30D
type Canon's is primarily due to the type of 'prism' is used to bring the
lenses image up and around to the eyepiece you look through. The cheaper
cameras use 'mirror prisms' and while it works, it usually gives a dimmer image
and feels like you're looking into a tunnel. The more expensive slr's use real
"glass type prisms" which usually run circles around the mirror kind if they're
designed right.
   The focusing screen is part of the "mirror" area you see when you're
changing lenses. I am being intentionally vague here because I don't want to
misdescribe something working from my usually shuffled memory files and either
send you on a wrong tangent or embarrass myself!
   Before you spend funds and muck around inside your camera I suggest
physically seeing the kind of focus aid's film cameras all had once upon a
time. A friend or relative might have one laying in a closet or you can fiddle
one up for a tiny sum somewhere.
   If you're loving the Manual Focus glass, I highly reccomend going with a
replacement screen and will 100% do so myself, but I know what I'd gain, what
I'd be using, how to use it, and the effects of losing the built in screen. ie:
the etched af focus marks of the factory one (and if your's light up, they
won't light up anymore). There can also be a need to compensate for certain
metering problems - so I hear.

Just make sure you're an informed consumer!

Richard.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.
~•~
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take" Wayne Gretzky
~•~
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows or Gates?
~•~
It's okay to be stupid. Just don't be gung-ho about it.