[LRflex] Re: Summicron 50mm take apart?

  • From: Steve Lang <stevelang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 12:41:08 -0700

Hi Aram,
Thanks for the tip. From reading the description and reviews, I guess you
end up losing some of the frame due to the magnification?

I took my daughter to her horse-riding lesson this morning, and had fun with
the XSi+Summicron. Actually, I think I finally 'grokked' manual focusing,
and why many prefer it to auto. You have to be actively involved in the
picture-taking, planning and predicting shots. But you also get a level of
control over the final outcome not possible with AF. I bought the Leicaflex
and Summicron with the intent of taking more deliberate pictures, so this is
perfect. Since it was bright out, I mostly shot at f4 and zone-focused with
good results, not too hard since she rides in a ring. (And hey, now I
understand why DOF scale on a lens is so useful!)

I am definitely going to go for a focusing screen in the near future. I'm
planning on keeping the Cron on the body full-time, so there's little reason
not to. It's too bad the AF confirmation lights don't work with the focusing
screen, but it's not a big deal.