[LRflex] Re: Sign of the times...

  • From: "David Young" <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 07:09:45 -0700

G'Mronin' Reg.

Perhaps you are right. However, they must be sufficiently respected as a=
 retailer, for the BBC to report on their activites.

More imporantlly, I think it truly is a "sign of the times"; with other,=
 less reported on, retailers coming to the same decision.

I know one of mly favourite shops, while it has not quit selling film=
 cameras, it has certainly quit buying non-SLR film cameras, as they simply=
 cannot get rid of what they have.  And even in the SLR category, film=
 SLR's are onlly a small portion of their stock.

These days I am shooting digital almost exclusively. Now that I live in the=
 'boonies', getting film developed is both expensive and slow.  Were I=
 still in a city, I'd likely still be shooting film.  But, for how long?

As the point and shoot crowd switch to digital, there are not enough of us=
 "enthusiasts' to buy the volumes of film that makers need to be=
 profitable.

Film will never go away... not, at least, in our lifetimes - just as vacuum=
 tubes are still available, to service your old stereo, 1960's TV or=
 battery radio.  The transistor revolution was complete in these fields by=
 the mid 70's, except for TV's which were 'mostly' transistor by then, and=
 tube sales slowed to a trickle.  Major makers sold their entire production=
 lines to China, Czechoslovakia, Malaysia, Bellarus and Russia.  There,=
 small firms still make small runs, at low cost, to fill a dwindling=
 demand. But there has not been a dime spent to improve vacuum tube=
 technology in 30 years.

Sadly, a similar fate faces film.

For the foreseable future, the common films, C-41 colour print films and=
 Tri-X in B&W, are, I hope, safe.  But look at how many smaller-run, high=
 quality films are already gone. Rather sad, actually.

David.

------------

On 09/08/2005 at 8:53 AM Reg wrote:

>David,
>
>I don't think that I would have associated Dixons with film cameras for
>many years. They seem mainly into home electronics these days ..... TVs,
>computers, mobile phones, etc
>
>Reg

David Young,
Logan Lake, BC