[LRflex] Re: Questions from new DMR owner

  • From: Jonathan Lee <jlee@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:43:55 -0400

Thanks for all the info guys.  I got iPhoto shut down and ended up
using CameraRaw because I already had it on my computer and it has a
very simple user interface. Hopefully I will have some images to share
by the end of this week.  Early impressions (shot about 50  pics in 2-3
hours this weekend):

1.  Image quality is absolutely stunning.  I haven't been photographing
any brick walls, but I think that a R9/DMR with a 35 and 50 Summicron
gives much better images than an M6 with 35 ASPH 'lux and 50 'cron (I
use Kodachrome and scan it using a Canon Fs4000 at 3200 dpi).  I think
that the R9/DMR images are somewhat better than my 6x6 or 6x7 chromes
(Hasselblad 500C and Mamiya 7 respectively).
2. The color is absolutely amazing.  Without doing any PS tweaking, I
think the colour is very Kodachrome like in terms of saturation and
life-likeness. Kodachrome, that is, with latitude and a tonal scale.
3. It's not as ungainly and heavy as it looks.  I have largish hands
(size L gloves) and it fits me nicely.  My wife (size S gloves) felt
the camera was too big for her (a Minilux is more her style). I think
an R9/DMR too big to be a carry around camera like an M rangefinder,
but overall it handles and balances nicely.  Without the DMR, the R9 is
a very very pleasant camera to hold and could be a carry around camera.
  While the R9/35 is somewhat heavier that an M6/35, it is much bulkier.
4. The crop factor is a good thing for me.  For the past decade or so I
have been using 35 and 50mm lenses almost exclusively.  However, I
always felt that the 35 was a bit too wide and the 50 a bit too short.
On the DMR, the crop factor nicely balances this out for me.

Jonathan