[LRflex] Re: Hand Baggage - Just Back from Heathrow.....!

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:48:58 -0700

I just came back from Heathrow this evening.  One in 4 passengers did
not fly out of Heathrow according to British authorities.  No worries,
I was one of the other 3 today.  I was on a United Airlines flight
from Heathrow to LAX and am really glad to be back!  Most of the
cancelled flights at Heathrow are out of Terminal 4, i.e. British
Airways.

There are still flight cancellations at all the British airports
(Gatwick, Stanstedt, Luton) and the official line is that they cannot
sustain this heightened vigilance for long.....I suppose it is
straining the system and manpower  The passenger queues were really
quite long just getting into the airport terminals.....like SFO and
OAK in the immediate post-911 era, except they erected a large white
tent for some folks to hang out in while waiting for their turn to get
inside.  They didn't let you into the terminal unless your flight was
in 2 hours' time, yet they ask you to arrive at least 3 hours before
the flight - what incongruence!

I was lucky to breeze through the entire process without a hitch, with
the laptop computer + Leica R7 and films checked into the hold.  I
shot 1 roll Ilford XP2 B&W film as well as 2 rolls Kodak Ultracolor
Pro and 2 rolls Fuji 200 Color films. In this coming week, I hope to
see how the shots turn out taken around Little Venice in London (short
walk from Warwick Avenue tube station on Bakerloo line), as well as
during the one day excursion to Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge.
It doesn't bother me to check equipment into the hold; I am more
concerned about fogging from X-rays: scan emissions are stronger for
checked-in luggage than for carry-ons.  Since the latter is replaced
by clear plastic bags for now, many people will be forced to shoot
digital if they don't want their higher ASA speed films to get fogged
by anti-terror X-ray machines.

If you have to go to England soon, why not fly to CDG Paris then take
the EuroStar highspeed train via the "chunnel" to avoid all the hassle
at British airports?

Cheers,
Eric Chan