[LRflex] Hand Baggage - Three Questions

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:08:25 -0700

All:

I've been fortunate enough to have travelled widely.  Always, I've
taken my cameras as hand (cabin) baggage.

Now, as you've likely all heard, in the UK cabin luggage has been
severely limited, and cameras (among many other things) are no longer
allowed and must be handled as checked baggage.  While many hope that
this is a temporary measure, this morning's press reports from the UK
indicate (according to at least one government spokesman) these
changes may well become permanent.

Personally, I am pleased  that the Brits appear to have foiled the
plot, and have no problems with the enhanced security or even longer
airport waits, for I'd rather have the inconvenience and arrive alive.

However, it brings up a problem with cameras and the LHSA convention,
next month in Wetzlar/Solms.  Naturally, I'd planned to take my
Leicas. Now, of course, they must now travel as checked luggage -
something I have always avoided.

Worse, the airlines are saying that they cannot be responsible for
[a] loss nor [b] damage, if fragile/valuable items are in checked
baggage, and suggest we all confirm with our insurance agencies that
we will be covered.  (This from the British Airways website, this AM.)

I'm now thinking of buying an inexpensive piece of rolling luggage
(probably carry on size), filling it with firm foam and carefully
packing the gear.  Has anyone here had experience with this sort of
thing?  Any success?  (I know Ted had a bad experience with the
US-TSA, but this trip is Vancouver-Heathrow-Paris, returning from Heathrow.

As an alternative, I was given (lucky me!) a Pelican look-alike case
(approx 21x 14.5x 10 in. or 54x 37x 25.5 cm)  that is older, well
used, but in superb mechanical condition. Again, I'd fill it with
foam and custom cut around it. There are, three problems with it.

First of all, it's heavy ... 11 pounds or 5 kilos - and that's before
we add foam or gear!

Secondly, I'll have to remove the large decal which reads
"SEISMIC*STAR DETONATORS - Class 'A' Dinosaur Hunters (Austin Powder Co.)" !!!

Thirdly, because it has, in past, been used to carry explosives, it
may still test positive for nitrates at the airport.  Does anyone
here have a sure fire process to eliminate all nitrate residue from
an all plastic case?

Last question:

In the USA, baggage is not to be locked, as the TSA want to be able
to open it for inspection.  However, I have been unable to determine
if locked luggage is still permissible overseas.  Obviously, a locked
case is more secure from theft... you only have to worry about losing
the entire case!  Does anyone know which, if any, locks are presently
allowed, outside the USA?

Any thoughts or experiences in this area will be greatly appreciated.

Limited Edition Prints at: http://www.telyt.com/
Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt