[LRflex] Re: OT: Bureaucratic Bungling...

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 16:24:50 -0800

Dave Saalsaa wrote:

>David, to make matters worse, Leica, most likely, got a replacement paid for
>by their insurance company.  It would have cost them nothing to replace your
>camera and DMR with all new equipment.  This is rediculous.

Hi Dave!

Agreed.

And if they had done so, the next day, during the Leica Akademie,
they would have blown 21 people away, with how Leica look after their
customers.  And those 21 people would have told their friends, and
they in turn would have told their friends... and so on and so
forth.  It's called "snatching public relations success from the jaws
of disaster."

Instead, they bungled it every step of the way. They are already
getting some bad press, and now stand the risk of getting a whole lot more!

Rather sad, actually.

The one bright spot in the entire affair has been Christian Erhardt,
marketing Manager for Leica USA.

I had dropped his name (Christian and I had worked together during
the LHSA's 2004 Spring Shoot, in Victoria, which Rose and I had
organized), in and email, in the faint hope that it might gain a
little more action from Solms.  In fact, it changed little, but Solms
then decided to include Christian in the email loop. When he found
out how Solms had been handling the situation, he had the accounting
office at Leica USA cut me a cheque for my out of pocked expenses up
to that time.  It was a gracious gesture and gratefully
accepted.  However, I still do not feel that Leica USA should have to
do such things in order to salvage the reputation of the head office,
when Leica USA was not, and is not, involved in any of this!

Oh... and the young lady I spoke with at FedEx (Canada) this morning.
She was superb.  Competent, cheerful and gracious. Everything that
one would expect in a telephone contact... but so rarely do we find
it!  She was a pleasure.

Heck!  There have to some bright spots in a saga like this!