[LRflex] Re: Lens and Focusing Advice Sought

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 02:01:06 +0200

It is almost certainly a Leica design - Kyocera was a very prominent and well-respected lens designer and manufacturer long before their collaboration with Carl Zeiss - that's one reason why Zeiss chose them as a partner - and produced excellent optics for many other camera manufacturers, as well as their own lenses and cameras under the Yashica brand name.

The fast lenses on a whole series of Yashica fixed-lens RF cameras are still almost legendary for their quality.

In my experience, many Yashica (Kyocera) lenses and CZ MiJ lenses are equal in quality to, and often better than, the corresponding CZ MiG (and even some Leica) offerings. For example, the Yashica 21/3.5 wide-angle lens is superior to the Leica-R Super Angulon 21/4.0 (which, by the way, isn't a Leica design).

The performance of the Yashica 55/2.8 Macro is also almost equal to that of the Leica 60 mm at a fraction of the price, and today still commands excellent s/h prices.

Cheers
Douglas

David Young wrote:
At 4/18/2009, you wrote:
I second David on the 80-200.

It is a Zeiss design and remarkable for its price point.

Bob... a question for you ... a Zeiss design???? When I spoke with Peter Karbe /(Leica's current head of optical design)/, in Wetzlar, in 06, he said it was a 100% Leica design, constructed by Kyocera, under contract. Certainly, my copy says: "Designed by Leica Camera Gmbh Mfd. in Japan", on it.

So, are you assuming that it's a Zeiss design, because of the long time Zeiss/Kyocera association? Or do you have knowledge that the I don't? If so, please tell us! Enquiring minds want to know!

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net <http://www.furnfeather.net/>
Personal Website: www.main.furnfeather.net <http://www.main.furnfeather.net/>
begin:vcard
fn:Douglas M. Sharp
n:Sharp;Douglas M.
org:30629 Hannover, Germany;Annette-Kolb-Strasse 29
email;internet:Douglas.Sharp@xxxxxx
title:G2E Translations
tel;work:0049 0511 9585565
version:2.1