[LRflex] Re: Lens and Focusing Advice Sought

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 14:15:12 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Kevin Willey wrote:

> For my next R-lens, I prefer to buy two Leica-r zoom Varios, but
> they're soooo costly (two masterpieces defined by E. Puts:
>  Vario-Elmarit-R ASPH 2.8/35-70mm and
>  Vario-Apo-Emarit-R 2.8/70-180mm

Optical masterpieces certainly, also very large and expensive and in the case
of the 35-70 f/2.8, very scarce.

> I prefer to get the ROM versions so I'm better
> poised for an R10.  But for now, what's the next most logical lens?
> A 1.4/80mm or a 2/90mm?

The next lens depends mostly on you and your preferences.  Keep in mind that if
you want a ROM lens the 90mm Summicron you'll be looking for is the APO ASPH
model, not the much older non-APO lens.  According to Leica the older lens
cannot be converted to ROM.

Instead of the f/2.8 Varios above, also consider the 35-70mm f/4 and 80-200mm
f/4.  As David mentioned the 80-200 f/4 (don't confuse this lens with the much
older f/4.5 model) is an excellent performer at any aperture and much less
bulky.  The 35-70 f/4 is also much smaller and lighter than the f/2.8 Vario and
gives excellent performance for a zoom (meaning that linear distortion and
flare are more evident than in a prime lens).

>(2) I wear tri-focal glasses:  close in reading, more distant computer
>screen focus, & long distance focus.  What part of my glasses should I
>use to focus both my R8 and the Hassi?  I've bought in the "sharp"
>school and I want to produce some really good shots because I travel
>to some unique locations in Asia.

Try adjusting the diopter setting on the camera's viewfinder eyepiece, and test
yourself to see which eye (and diopter setting) gives you the best results.
Prior to this year my left eye was consistently stronger but on vacation last
February I started getting better results with my right eye.  I have no idea
why.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com