[LRflex] Re: Lens and Focusing Advice Sought

  • From: "William B. Abbott III" <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:25:40 -0700

Kevin,

I'm a long time, twenty years plus fan of the Vario 35-70 zoom. I used the f/3.5 version as my main lens with an R4 with ISO 200 film and then switched to the f/4 version with an R7 about 10 years ago.

I have never seen the 35-70 f/2.8 version which you speak of.

I tried a Vario 28/90mm once but found it was unwieldy to my ergonomic sensibilities and gave it up. I'm sure it is a technological masterpiece, and it may be a ground-breaking lens, but it is not for me.

I also had a 24mm f/2.8 that was a joy but had a chance to swap it in on a Vario 21-35mm f/4 and haven't been sorry. In fact, I took it on what turned out to be my last film vacation, to the Copper Canyon in Mexico (Sigh...) , and used it 75% of the time.

I never have been limited by the f/4 being a stop slower than f/2.8, and now with the DMR and its ease of ISO change, that is even less of a concern to me. For my image purposes, ISO 200 is as good or better than I need. Others may differ, preferring ISO 100 and nothing faster. It all depends.

I've moved on to an R9 and a DMR but I still use those two lenses, the 35-70 and 21-35, as my main DMR carry around lenses. I do have a Vario 80-200mm but my image visualization is wide angle, not telephoto, so I tend not to use it except for special situations. Others see and visualize image possibilities differently, and you may.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

With all best wishes,

Bill

On Apr 18, 2009, at 9:07 AM, Kevin Willey wrote:

Leica SLR pros,

Need some advice on two issues: (1) I recently purchased a late model R8 and a SUMMICRON 35/2 (1983) from separate sellers on eBay. First roll of film is simply gorgeous and even my cynical wife admitted this used equip. shoots better than our Leica Digilux 2, although I wouldn't say it's necessarily better. For my next R- lens, I prefer to buy two Leica-r zoom Varios, but they're soooo costly (two masterpieces defined by E. Puts: Vario-Elmarit-R ASPH 2.8/35-70mm and Vario-Apo-Emarit-R 2.8/70-180mm). These two lens would take care of all my needs, and I prefer to get the ROM versions so I'm better poised for an R10. But for now, what's the next most logical lens? A 1.4/80mm or a 2/90mm? I've read the differences on blogs, but I'm still unsure. I won't be using the R8 for landscape, still learning on a recently acquired Hassi 500CM for landscape. I travel a lot and a moderate zoom for street shooting appeals to me.

(2) I wear tri-focal glasses: close in reading, more distant computer screen focus, & long distance focus. What part of my glasses should I use to focus both my R8 and the Hassi? I've bought in the "sharp" school and I want to produce some really good shots because I travel to some unique locations in Asia.

Thanks for your advice. Still dealing with a near vertical learning curve to "begin" to shoot good B&W...color seems easier.

Kevin

On Apr 17, 2009, at 4:52 PM, David Young wrote:

Philippe wrote:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/album368/Paques-1090455-2.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/cqls6g

Plus next one to the right.

You make me envious, of Alice's garden, Philippe!

Here, we've had two days of light rain, and the grass is starting to turn green. Still, today, the rain turned to hail, for about 10 minutes....

I like both shots... more so because the remind me that spring really will happen!

Thanks for sharing.  Hi to Alice!

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net