[LRflex] Re: Lens and Focusing Advice Sought

  • From: rsphoto's email <rsphotoimages@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:11:06 -0700

I second David on the 80-200.

It is a Zeiss design and remarkable for its price point.

I agree that the 70-180 is heavy etc. and gawdawful expensive and stunningly sharp; I own and use one.

But I strongly concur on the 80-200 plus the prices are now reasonable for a nice used lens. And because of its form factor and lower weight, you'll be more likely to use it.

Let us all know what you decided!

Bob

On Apr 18, 2009, at 12:50 PM, Miha Golobic wrote:

Leica SLR pros
I'm not :-)

For my next R-lens, I prefer to buy two Leica-r zoom Varios, but they're soooo costly (two masterpieces defined by E. Puts: Vario- Elmarit-R ASPH 2.8/35-70mm and Vario-Apo-Emarit-R 2.8/70-180mm). ...and heavy! I would never travel with them. A lighter but HQ alternative would be the 4/35-70 (or 2.8-4,5/28-90) and the 4/80-200.

But for now, what's the next most logical lens?  A 1.4/80mm or a 2/90mm?
I have a 2/90 (non asph) and would never part with it. 80 gets sharper at middle apertures. Another great lens is macro 2.8/100.

I wear tri-focal glasses: close in reading, more distant computer screen focus, & long distance focus. What part of my glasses should I use to focus both my R8 and the Hassi? The ground glass on your leica is about 1m (virtually) away from your eyes.

Please see this page for examples: http://www.overgaard.dk/leica_index2.html (click on the lens)
Best of luck!
Miha

2009/4/18 David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Kevin asked:

Need some advice on two issues: (1) I recently purchased a late model R8 and a SUMMICRON 35/2 (1983) from separate sellers on eBay. First roll of film is simply gorgeous and even my cynical wife admitted this used equip. shoots better than our Leica Digilux 2, although I wouldn't say it's necessarily better. For my next R- lens, I prefer to buy two Leica-r zoom Varios, but they're soooo costly (two masterpieces defined by E. Puts: Vario-Elmarit-R ASPH 2.8/35-70mm and Vario-Apo-Emarit-R 2.8/70-180mm).

Good Morning, Kevin!

I cannot comment on the 35~70mm zooms (though I used to own the Minolta-made f3.5 version, which was quite good). However, many find the 70-180/f2.8 Apo Vario to be very large and unwieldy, not to mention both stunningly sharp and even more stunningly expensive.

For this lens, there is an alternative... the 80~200/4 Vario-Elmar. It is available, used - with ROM, at some very reasonable prices, relatively lightweight for travel, and very, very good. I suggest you go to my personal website, www.main.furnfeather.net, click on the "Published Articles" link (on the left) and then download & read both "Central American Birding" and "Hunting Small Game ... with a zoom lens". (I've carted mine all over SE Asia, North America and Europe, with great success.

You'll love the R8.  (I miss mine.)

These two lens would take care of all my needs, and I prefer to get the ROM versions so I'm better poised for an R10. But for now, what's the next most logical lens? A 1.4/80mm or a 2/90mm?

AS for these two... I've owned only the 90/2 Summicron (non-Apo) and loved it. The 80 is bigger, heavier & more expensive, but if you have a "need for speed"....

---
David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net